Thursday, March 10, 2016

Sounds and Smells of the Country

This has been quite an unseasonably warm winter.  I'm a bit concerned that the weather didn't match the persimmon seeds.  Two possibilities have come to mind.  Either we've so distorted our weather with chemicals and technology, what has been working in nature for eons will no longer gibe with the "reality that has been manufactured," or . . . March is going to be very wintry!  At this point, I don't know, but what I do know is, I'm very thankful for the sounds and smells of the country.

The other morning as I walked out the door to do morning chores, the fragrance of a spring rain was in the air.  I know, a bit early, but it was very clearly there.  There are already jonquils and some ground cover blooming, which scented the gentle breeze, and the smell of fresh milk was wafting.  Then there are the sounds of the baby goats playing and their mothers calling them.  The roosters were impatiently crowing, awaiting my arrival to open the chicken house, and Hank stood at the bottom of the steps "talking" to me, giving the "night report."

Living in the country, working the land has certainly had it's frustrations on occasion, but the pros far outweigh the cons.  I have not set an alarm clock in over a decade, yet I've witnessed the most beautiful sunrises, courtesy of our Creator and the rooster.  In the past three years now, I've sort of moved to a split shift.  My bedtime is much earlier now, than it once was, but Father awakens me, usually between 2-4 or 5 for amazing time of prayer, contemplation, and intercession . . . and hearing HIM!  Through the winter months, I go back to sleep for another few hours.  In the summer months, morning comes somewhat earlier . . .   

The sounds and smells change with the seasons, of course, and I think perhaps this unusual winter has brought to my attention, just how precious the sounds and smells of the country are . . . not to mention the sights.  This is the first winter I've enjoyed flocks of cardinals and bluebirds in the same season.  Seems the cardinals are in abundance in the winter, but the bluebirds are out of sight until spring.  Even the robins were a part of the February scenery this year.

As I go about my chore routine, I smile and say thank you to my Heavenly Father.  As I organize my thoughts of the garden and the flocks and herds, I smile and say thank you to my Heavenly Father.  As I think of the first Thursday of the month, the livestock auction is one of my favorite places.  Just in thinking of that, I smile and say thank you to my Heavenly Father.  The sounds and smells of the country truly are a blessing.

The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land  Song of Solomon 2:12

No comments:

Post a Comment