Monday, November 30, 2015

Almost Winter

As social media erupts once again with the debates and dogma regarding Hanukkah, I found myself searching Scripture.  I'm not really too interested in the debates as I see a real "spirit" of Constantine pervading the movement to return to Torah truth.  There are some "teachers" who continue to bring division in their exalted understanding . . . It's hard enough for folks to come out of all the traditions of Judaism and Christianity, only to find the nitpicker debates . . . I, personally, think those are the worst!

So far, the annual debate and "greater revelation" of Jeremiah 10:3,4 began surfacing shortly after Halloween.  Halloween is getting to be a "safe" social media "anti-observe" holiday.  Seems a great number of Christians are realizing the implications, as well as most of the HRM, Messianics, and Torah Observant believers.  Most of us can agree on that one day we "don't do!"  Even much of our secular society realizes there is just too much risk and potential danger associated with Halloween, to even think it's just harmless fun.  Too many times, it's proven to not be harmless and far from fun!  I do find it interesting, though, that so many complain about Christmas decorations up in stores around Halloween, and I tend to feel the same disdain about the debates beginning so early.  Many folks are moving away from the traditions of Christmas, as well, in search of well, something more meaningful . . . and perhaps even mentioned in Scripture!  Which is where the newest, latest debate comes in.  Hanukkah, historical truth or pagan tradition?

Last year was the first year I remember receiving warnings on social media about celebrating  Hanukkah.  I'll be honest, though, I was deeply troubled by the brazen mockery in 2011, of someone who decided to crash my Hanukkah traditions, which led to some serious personal introspection.  How much of "my" Hanukkah celebration was truth and how much was simply tradition?   Very little research was needed to realize Hanukkah in America is basically a Christmas knock-off, and not celebrated the same in any other country, so . . . I knew 2011 would be the last year of gifts and not really sure how I would explain that to grandchildren.  I also wasn't sure what else would fall away.  As it turns out, their parents made it very easy, as I was basically an outcast by the end of 2012.  It wasn't easy to deal with how that problem was solved, but it was obviously solved!  So much was resolved in a relatively short time.

So, here's the short list according to history.  Truth:  Antiochus did erect a statue of Zeus in the Temple and sacrificed a pig on the altar, desecrating it completely.  Truth:  The Maccabees did stand against Antiochus and ultimately prevailed. Truth:  The Temple was restored and dedicated.Truth:  Feast of Dedication is found in John 10:22, and Messiah revealed himself as Messiah through that time on Solomon's Colonnade.

Tradition:  Latkes.  Tradition:  Fried food for 8 days.  Tradition:  only in America are gifts given.  Tradition:  Playing dreydl every night and gelt.  Tradition:  Candle lighting

Now, as for the traditions . . . gifts have gone by the wayside, and I can only stand about 2 or 3 days of latkes, then I'm completely done frying . . .  As for candle lighting, I do use an Hanakiah rather than the official style menorah, because it is not a commanded Holy Day.  The temple was restored and rededicated, and it does not seem inappropriate to do the same with myself, since my body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. . . another reason to nix a week of fried food.  As for playing dreydl, when I have guests, it's a fun little parlor game.

Meanwhile, it gets rather tempting to just become a recluse until January, and all the holiday mayhem is over.  Clearly, it won't be resolved, but over and done is nice.  When all this clears and the January 2016 calendar is placed on the kitchen wall, that means only 45 days til the garden can be started!

No comments:

Post a Comment